Traditional Fiestas of the First Sunday in May
For centuries, the first Sunday in May has been a day when people from all over the island have come together. As the legend goes, Ibizan people started to go to Santa Eulária des Riu to celebrate a miracle: when the old village church fell off the cliff just after Sunday mass, when all the parishioners had already left the temple and were safely away from the sudden collapse. On that day, the island would welcome smartly decorated carts and peasants dressed up to the nines to enjoy this fiesta and meet up with their friends and family.
Nowadays, the tradition continues and many people in Ibiza join this unique parade that precedes the traditional dance, food tastings and other activities planned for the day. It has been declared a Fiesta of Cultural Interest and gives visitors the chance to admire the beauty and singularity of the traditional costumes worn by Ibiza’s women, especially their emprendada, which is a spectacular set of gold, silver and coral necklaces over the women’s chest.
What to do during the Fiestas of the First Sunday in May?
The activities and events planned for the fiestas go on after the Sunday and can be checked on the tourism website of Santa Eulária des Riu. Some of the must-sees of this important festivity are:
- The traditional ball pagés which is the traditional Ibizan dance whose singularity makes it a unique folkloric representation in the Mediterranean.
- The food tasting of fritters, orelletes and wine. Orelletes have a spongy texture and a fragrant taste of lemon and aniseed. Do try them!
- The show of ucs, which were the cries used by peasants to communicate with each other when they lived far apart from each other.
- The classic car and motorbike show.
- The free open-air concert offered on the Saturday evening by well-known Spanish artists and bands.
- The free concert on Sunday evening and the impressive fireworks that put an end to this special day.
Ibiza in May: stay at Hotel Ánfora
Our suites and rooms will be available to our guests from 1st May until 31st October, so you can spend the First Sunday of May with us. Our hotel is in Es Canar, only a short drive away from Santa Eulária des Riu. In fact, we suggest you forget about the car and take the bus there, because the two villages are very well connected by lines 18A and 18B.
Champagne for breakfast during your holidays in Ibiza
We’d like to celebrate the opening of our doors for this season with a special offer: if you book a room to check in between 1st and 7th May, you can have a delicious breakfast with champagne in your room or suite. Enter the offer code BUBBLES when you book the room and begin your May holidays in style in Ibiza.
Main picture: (c) Visitsantaeulalia.com
Looking for a superb stay in Ibiza? Find out 7 reasons for booking a room at Anfora Hotel Ibiza.