New in 2020: more energy self-sufficiency
Hotel Ánfora began its commitment to energy efficiency and sustainability in 2017, when we carried out the big renovations that turned our 2-star hotel into a modern 4-star hotel. Back then, we installed our first solar panel system to heat up the water used at the hotel. Three years later, we have extended the system to increase our own supply of renewable power for the air-con installation, the kitchens and lighting.
This investment brings Hotel Ánfora closer still to its goals to keep improving as a sustainable hotel in Ibiza:
- Integrate architectural and environmental requirements smoothly.
- Reduce noise pollution.
- Gradually reduce our dependence on fossil fuels.
- Produce power without pollutant emissions.
- Cut down at least 18% of the non-renewable power consumed.
Committed to sustainable mobility in Ibiza
Since our renovations in 2017, Hotel Ánfora has been clearly committed to sustainable mobility in Ibiza. This is why our guest car park includes two charging stations for electric vehicles. With this we aim to encourage travellers to hire electric or plug-in hybrid cars, which are now available at several car hire companies on the island.
Your sustainable hotel in Ibiza: holidays without plastic
Early this year, the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) launched its Global Tourism Plastics Initiative which urged holiday operators and destinations to become leading players in reducing plastic consumption. To do so, the UNWTO asks tourism organisations to agree to implement a series of actions by 2025 and Hotel Ánfora already started on them last year:
- We have cut down on single-use plastics for many items, especially single-dose food and bottles of water. This is why our breakfast jams, chocolate spread and oil and vinegar bottles are all in glass containers.
- Coffee pods will be made out of plant-based materials and we will no longer use the aluminium capsules.
- We have replaced plastic straws and picnic packaging with those made with biodegradable plant-based materials.
- We will eliminate printouts used by guests -such as the menu or information for guests in their rooms- and replace them with suite pads, i.e. tablets to check and book the services offered by the hotel.
- We have banned plastic decorations for cocktails.
Given all our work towards greater sustainability, Hotel Ánfora has received the certificate Certificación Empresas Ibiza 2019 from Asociación Plastic Free. This certificate encourages us to keep on working to eliminate single-use plastics completely.
Sustainability in cleaning services too
Hotel Ánfora is also working to gradually shift to eco-label cleaning products that are more eco-friendly as this is so important for our islands’ delicate environment. This action also entails refilling cleaners’ containers to avoid plastic waste. Apart from the products used to clean rooms we will also gradually change the soaps used for laundry and the kitchen conveyor dishwasher.
Towards the sustainability certificate
Just before the COVID-19 pandemic, Hotel Ánfora was applying for the ISO 14001 certificate for Environmental Management Systems (SGA) granted by AENOR. As the lockdown ordered by the government forced us to close our doors, we have had to postpone this application to 2021 and in the meantime, we will continue to work hard to offer our customers eco-friendly holidays in a sustainable hotel in Ibiza with 4-star service.